The Truly Abigail Family

7.25.2010

The Hyndman Warriors

Hyndman Mountain
Daddy-O 


Mommy-O








That would be MOI right there.
The top of Mount Hyndman, Idaho's 9th tallest peak













My sweet Nike hiking shoes...except they aren't really hiking shoes.







A for Abby!

Me on the A (Nice belly you've got, Abby.)






Now for the scenic pictures, all taken by me. 





















Columbines






The semi-bridge we had to cross.




Aspen tree leaves
















People pass by and carve their names/initials into the Aspens.


Sago Lily, Utah's state flower
Hyndman Mountain is located about a half-hour away from Hailey, Idaho. It is the 9th tallest mountain in the state. Its height is approximately 12,070 feet tall. It usually takes about six hours just to get to the top. So, in total, to the top back to the trail head, it's about a 9-hour round trip. Yes, it was long and tiring, but we made it back.

This trip was with just Mom, Dad, and me. We stayed at a cheap, old, scary motel in downtown Hailey. When we pulled in there were men smoking. The stench was revolting. Luckily, our room was a smoke-free room, and it smelled pleasant rather than the other motel rooms. I had a terrible night, though. I couldn't sleep because I was nervous. I won't get into the details of how upset I got, but I only slept for an hour. Otherwise, I was thinking scary thoughts no matter how hard I tried to think pleasantly. Finally, we got up at 5:30 and got out of that motel fast. I was relieved when we were driving down Main Street towards Hyndman. 

Now, I would have taken more pictures, (you: "MORE PICTURES?!") but Dad wanted to get on the road and he was tired of waiting for me to take my pictures and venture down to where he had been waiting for five minutes. 

We didn't quite make it to the top because of all the loose rock we had to climb, but Dad had already been to the top and Mom and I hated the climbing. I may be a hiker, but I am definitely not a mountain/rock climber. It just comes with time and age, though, and for an 11-year-old girl, I'd say I did pretty well. We were only about twenty minutes away from the top, but Mom and I just couldn't take it anymore. We ate lunch on big rocks that were more stable and made the three-hour hike back down. Our feet were literally almost bleeding at the end, so we pulled our sandals out of the trunk and dipped our feet into the nearby creek to wipe the dirt off and relieve our soreness. Then we stopped for dinner and slept all the way home. I am grateful to be back in my own bed with the safety of my home and my siblings and Cooper. Life is good. 

♥ Abigail ♥

No comments: