The Truly Abigail Family

11.11.2010

A Day to Remember: A Tribute

On Tuesday morning all of Eagle Middle School gathered in the main gymnasium with excited chatter. It had been a long morning filled with assignments and learning, and this assembly put all that stress out of our minds. Mrs. Walling's 3rd period class (science) sat in the top row of the purple bleachers. We talked amongst ourselves until Mr. Nelson, our principal, cleared his throat and commenced the program. At that moment everyone settled down.

After Mr. Nelson thanked everyone for coming in his very noticeable lisp of a voice, he let the assembly begin. We recited the Pledge of Allegiance, and then the band played the national anthem. Afterwards two men in those Scottish skirts (kilts, right?) came marching in playing the bagpipes. When they left they got a standing ovation, started by my friend and me. Who doesn't love men in skirts?

The boys' choir and the 7th grade girls choir sang "Grand Old Flag" together. Then the 8th grade girls choir, who took up all the space on the risers, sang a well-known piece, but I do not remember the name. The orchestra then came in and played a song called "Something Hoedown". I have a really bad memory, so I can't recall any of these songs.

Swing Dance, the team I had tried out for but failed miserably, performed as well. They did practically the exact same moves we learned when we were trying out, except better. After yet another standing ovation, Mrs. Spiers, the lady who put the whole program together, let fellow students come to the microphone and recognize a relative serving in the war. That was a quiet time. It wasn't until at least ten seconds after everyone had come up to recognize someone that the first cheer was heard. Again, everyone stood up.

Then came the most important part of the whole event: honoring the veterans who came in from Veteran Homes to be in the program. Mrs. Spiers introduced each and every one of them. There were several men in wheelchairs, others hardly able to move, others with terrible hearing abilities, and some who were all scratched up from their time in the war. Battle wounds, as we call them.

I didn't realize it then, but when I came home from school that day I began thinking about the soldiers. What would it have been like to fight in World War II? I wonder how hard training was for them. If I'd served in the war, would I be dead right now? Then that got me thinking about the people who had died serving our country. It made me feel lucky to be in such a great country. There's no other place I would rather be than the USA.

Thank you, soldiers, for making me realize that there is more to war than guns and blood and goriness. You have really shown me what it is like to sacrifice your life for something you love.

I love the USA.

♥ Abigail ♥

1 comment:

Parker said...

Great post!