The Truly Abigail Family

11.01.2010

My Little Brother







Meet Cooper.

He's my four-legged buddy who is always there when I come home.

He gives me company when I am alone.

He's very good at making sure he marks his territory when we go on walks.

He never barks.

He loves people (and jumping on them).

He would do anything to get attention.

He's a quick learner; in fact, I taught him "shake" in three tries.

He likes to sleep.

He came from the Humane Society (or as I like to call it, the nasty pound).

He's single, lady pooches. ;)

But most importantly, he's my best friend.

Even though he can't respond, I tell him everything.

He is always there for me when I am in a bad mood.

He'll love me no matter what.

(Oh wow, I'm crying now.)

On Thursday, October 28th, Cooper turned four years old.

In my terms, he's one third done with his life.

Every day he grows older.

Every day I find a loose gray hair hanging around his fur.

Every day he grows a little bigger.

It makes me sad knowing he will live only to a minimum of 12 years old.

I feel bad not giving him all the attention I could.

Instead I stare at this computer screen when I could be throwing the ball with my dog.

My best friend.

The best thing I could ever have in my growing years.

We're going through this life together.

One step at a time.

Through all the tough times, a dog and a girl have each other's backs.

He may only be a dog,

but he has feelings too.

Probably just as many as a human does.

People take dogs for granted.

In my perspective, dogs are anyone's best friend.

They don't care if you're rich or poor...

Dirty or spotless...

Homeless or owner of a mansion...

Ugly or beautiful...

All they care about is that you're there with them.

Which is why I would do anything for my dog.

Even if it meant sacrificing something.

And that's a lot to ask for, considering he's just a dog.

So, happy birthday, my King of All Cutie Pies.

You've got a bright future ahead of you.

♥ Abigail ♥

4 comments:

Maddie said...

Aw! Abby, thats so nice! :)
While I was reading this, I looked to my side, and my dog, Sadie, was sitting there with big puppy eyes! :)

Katie said...

AWWWWW! How sad! And Beautiful! And Cute! AND AWESOME!!!!!! This dog we babysit Rosie I about 9 years old... D: She's TOO Old!

John said...

Abigail,

That is one of the sweetest things I have ever read. You write beautifully. Your boy Cooper is a great pup and he is lucky to have you. As a fellow dog lover, I can relate to everything you wrote.

Good job!

Your friend,

John Peay

Ashley said...

Abby, I'm crying from memories with Luke. I can totally relate to everything you've said. This was like poetry. It was not only fantastic, it evoked emotion. Spectacular. Spectacular. Wow.

This only makes me cry harder knowing that in those last dying moments of Luke's life.. he looked... melancholy. It was like he was desperate not to leave, but happy to go, you know?
Everyone deserves to have a best friend. People generally tend to think a girl's best friend is human, or diamonds, but for girls like us.. It's dogs. Could you imagine what dog's could do if they had a voice? We must protect them, and use our voice for them. Ruthie is, well, Ruthie. I'd rather talk to a rock than share my secrets with her. Yes, she's a dog, but once you lose a big piece of your heart on one of your first dogs, it's hard to love another as much as you loved that one. It's amazing how one thing can literally change your life.

Not having a best friend is like... not having a head. Without one, you're hopeless. You don't operate well enough, and you tend to die thereafter.
(Not saying you'd die without a best friend, but still.)

I'd better say goodbye, because if I write much more it would be ruining your amazing post with a bad version of mine.

Amazing should not be on there. I don't think there is a word to describe this post.