The Truly Abigail Family

6.07.2010

Run


Sore legs. Feet aching. Heart pumping. Heavy breathing. Mind exploding. Eyes focused. The gunshot is heard. The runners take off, their bodies moving as fast as they possibly can. As they run, they can see the finish line decorated in bright colors. The crowd is cheering. A boost of confidence arises in the runners' endurances. When they reach the sign that says in bold letters,

FINISH

...they blow up in excitement. They have accomplished what they have been training for. And it feels great.

I was apart of this anxiety today. I ran in the 100-yard dash, the 400 (one lap around the track), and the relay. I placed first in the dash. It was 5th grade boys against 5th grade girls. When Mr. Hill blew his whistle, we all sprinted as fast as our legs could carry us to the neon pink line. Halfway through the boys fell behind; now it was just Emma, one of my best friends, and me. Since she plays soccer she can run like the wind. Since I have long legs and strides I can run like the wind. Everyone was watching. The pressure was on. The final push won me the victory. We were both tied, and when the line started appearing closer and closer, I gave all my might to get to the finish. And I did. Emma and I cheered for each other after the race. It was a moment of pure joy.

About five minutes later was the 400. Only three 5th grade girls participated in the event: me, Cheyenne, who is another friend of mine, and Marci. The whistle blew. The race was starting. I started out slowly, for I was still sore from the dash. Cheyenne was a little ahead of me, while Marci lagged behind. About halfway through the race I got ahead of Chey, and for the rest of the way I was in the lead. I won, even though my throat was dry and my calves were burning. I am definitely not a long-distance runner.

The very last running event was the relay, an event I was in. I teamed up with four other girls: Natalie, Emma (a different one), and Emma (yet another different one). I was the 4th person; I am the fastest. We got off to a good start. Natalie handed the baton to Emma B. Although this wasn't a competitive event, I am the type who likes to win. I was disappointed as Emma ran slowly. She was about three yards behind everyone when she handed the baton to Emma R. She quickly ran, although it wasn't fast enough. I got the baton after everyone else, and I just couldn't seem to catch up. We got last place. Even though I am still a bit disappointed, I know that field day is just for fun.

According to today, I am certain that I'll join track and field in middle school next year.

♥ Abigail ♥

P.S. I joined the www.dictionary.com Word of the Day content. Every day on the sidebar there will be a new word starting tomorrow. Expand your vocabulary!

2 comments:

Ashley said...

I'm so proud of you, Abby!

good vibrations said...

Keep it up! Great to hear such good stories.
Everyone in my family runs, including my 13 year old daughter.

www.dare.edublogs.org