The Truly Abigail Family

4.05.2010

A Fresh Start


Today was the first day of my new school. At first I felt a little nervous, but with good advice from my friends, and how the students invited me right in, I felt confident. I sit next to some really nice people who know the ropes to the whole school. There was a big downside to coming to the new school.

Hint: "Holy cow! How did you get to be so tall?"

Yes, my height was mistreated today. A lot of the students would just randomly stroll up to me and blurt out, "You're tall." At first I would laugh and say, "Yes, I am!" but soon it got out of control. I was asked the same question over and over: "How tall are you?" Then people started making nicknames. There really is no respect for tall people when you're new. There is a girl who is my height, though, so I don't feel alone. I just hated getting attention only because of my height. Couldn't you be attentive of me with something better? That's just the way it is. Once the people get to know me, I will hopefully be respected.

There are two separate buildings. One is on top of a hill, so we have to climb a long flight of stairs to reach our destination. That is where the cafeteria, computer lab, library, and office is located. I am guessing we will be up there a lot.

Then there's recess. There is a group (or should I say clique?) of boys who are offered money to ask a girl "out". Personally I don't think of it as dating, but I don't think I would want to "go out" with boys like them. They wear black all the time, they act as if they're the coolest group of people in the school, and when they ask a girl "out", they go and ask another one the next day. Pfft, desperate people, I would think to myself. So, there are also annoying people.

The bus ride home wasn't very pleasant. First of all, I absolutely despise riding on buses, and second, I was made fun of yet again. Third, there are no fifth graders except for one of the members of the "oh-we-think-we're-so-cool" boy clique. So, it is a little kindergarten - 4th grader ride home. Fourth, if I grew a centimeter my head would literally be touching the ceiling of the bus. It is so crazy! It hurts to be tall, but I love it. Some people would just kill to be tall. I'm going to say that to anyone who says I'm tall: "Oh, you just wish you had my height." :) It's good to be tall, even if people don't realize it.

So, it wasn't necessarily a successful day. As people get to know me, though, I will (hopefully) be more respected.

Shoutouts to the Friends at My New School Who Actually Respect My Height: Ally, Austin, Autumn, Emma, Morgan, Savannah, and Scott

♥ Abigail ♥

1 comment:

Meredith said...

I am proud of you for having such a good attitude about starting a new school! I know it's not easy at first, but I know with time, it will feel like home!

You are a beautifully tall girl with a tall family that loves your tall body. :) We are in this together!

I love you, sister!