The Truly Abigail Family

3.12.2009

The Worst of Emotional

Goodness, what an emotional afternoon I experienced today. The school district had a spelldown, and only four kids were accepted: two from each class. For my class, me and Emily Connell, and from the other class, Sebastian Elu and Grace Hernandez.

Grace was first, and the word was balm, used in plants. She spelled it, "baum" because it sounded like bomb or something. Then, it was Sebastian's turn: elated. Was right. Went on to Emily: upshot. Got it right. On to me: portly. Wrong. I spelled it "portley." Eliminated. No chance of going to the districts. The final two were Sebastian and Emily. Sebastian won, and is going to compete against 32 other schools.

After putting my head down on my desk and crying and having a runny nose, I finally signed out of the classroom and went to the bathroom. Sat in a stall. Cried some more. I came out after five minutes. A girl named Lauren Kerner came in as I stared at my red eyes in the mirror. She must have thought it helped, but it was really pretty offensive.

"What word did you miss?" she asked.

"Portly," I said.

"You should've gotten it right."

In my head: How's that supposed to help? That's pretty rude. Walked out of the stall. Sat down in class. Did my work slowly.

Kami passed a note to me saying, "Everyone makes mistakes. You did a great job." Pictures all over the other side of the paper. Smiley faces, rainbows, stars, anything colorful. It was emotional, but soon got over it. I'll make it another time.

Remember, don't forget "portly."

3 comments:

Madison Kate said...

Abby,
I think you are really confident.
And I know Lauren mgiht have been trying to help or not.
But the way Kami tried to make you feel better was nice.
I mean I think she ment that everyone makes mistakes and we "your friends" are there for you when you are down. She wanted you to cheer up. I would have done the same thing.

Meredith said...

Abby- you were in the spelling bee??!! I never got that opportunity!

I am going to write a blog in your honor either tonight or tomorrow. I am so proud of you for having a CHANCE to be at districts! That is so cool.

I love you smarty pants!

PS- I was writing on a white board in front of 30 people yesterday and I couldn't remember how to spell jewelry! (Jewelery?) Shoot!

Parker said...

Abs!

I would have spelled "portly" exactly the same way you did; that's a tricky spelling.

By the way, your posts are hilarious! I laugh out loud when I read them, and the other students sitting at my table in the library give me these funny looks. I tell them that my stud-of-a-ten-year-old-sister owns her very own laptop and blogs frequently, and they're always impressed.

Keep up the funny anecdotes!